Friday, March 29, 2013

Love My Enemies... Really?!

Everyone knows someone, or two or three someones that are horrible human beings... or just plain difficult to like, not to mention LOVE! They are self-centered, passive aggressive, pushy, insensitive, or just plain "evil"! It seems impossible to tolerate being in their presence without having our skin crawl with the immediate desire to flee, let alone use precious energy in trying to cultivate feelings of love for them!

How can I love someone I just cannot relate to or understand... someone so different from me? How can I try to love someone so obviously undeserving? How is this even possible? I must need a major "supernatural attitude adjustment"!  Doesn't love imply some type of commonality? Common ground? Mutual respect? Doesn't it require lovability? Or at the very least... likability?! It's just so (insert whiney tone) haaard to even want to try... it just feels so unauthentic and completely insincere! Should I just "fake it til I make it"? I, myself. Just. Don't. Know.

Thing is, God DOES know... and His call is quite clear... love is the Answer. Love is my Direction, love is what is needed. Love without condition or complaint... without expectation or restraint! The harder the person is to love the more love is needed not less. He asks us to do something that on our own would be utterly IMPOSSIBLE!

How can I do it? First and foremost, I need to forgive them their trespasses... and remember they have forgotten who they are and that is part of the problem. I am here on Earth as part of God's solution to remind them. They have never known or have forgotten they are spirits created by a loving God... as we often forget as well. We are souls constantly being called to Him... to love.

The next thing I am to do is seek for their better good, pray with them and/or pray for them! I should listen to God's nudge to serve them in some way... big or small. I should never underestimate the power of even the little gifts we can offer that cost us nothing... a listening ear, a smile, eye contact, a positive word, a silent prayer for their blessing.

Acts of service, prayer, and forgiveness are all ways towards the Love of our enemies. Isn't this what He has done for us? It's so simple... and yet so hard sometimes to let go of our anger, bitterness, and resentment! Even though we are promised so much more in return for our efforts!

Loving our enemies really is God's desire for us... by loving them we open ourselves up to receive much more Love from Him. By loving our enemies we can better know His Love for us and receive the many blessings His Love offers us!

❤ God is Love is God.


2 comments: